Elegance of Great Britain - Start London, Classic Group, 2021
Elegance Of Great Britain – Start London, Classic Group, 2021
This journey is a must for those who have a love of literature and Britain. Stately homes, historic castles and beautiful gardens shape a delightful itinerary, evoking a bygone age.
- Ardgowan Castle: Sir Ludovic Shaw Stewart welcomes you to his family castle, set on a 10,000-acre coastal estate. Learn the history of the area, the Shaw Stewart family and the castle itself, followed by a traditional Scottish tea and scones.
- Edinburgh: Get to know your fellow travellers over your Welcome Dinner of modern European cuisine and wine, at a chic bistro tucked away in New Town.
- Thirsk: Join a family for a home-hosted meal at the historic Thirsk Hall. This Grade II* listed building was extended in 1770 by famous English architect John Carr.
- Stratford: Enjoy a traditional Sunday Roast Dinner, with all the trimmings.
- Bath: Join your Travel Director and fellow travellers at Brasserie Blanc. Raise a glass over your Celebration Dinner to commend your wonderful journey, while enjoying a delicious French-inspired meal accompanied with wine.
- Dining Summary: 12 Breakfasts (B), 1 Morning Tea (MT), 2 Dinners (D) and 3 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Bath: Choose to visit the well-preserved remains of the Roman Baths, where natural hot springs still flow or alternatively, step into the world of an esteemed author at the Jane Austen Centre.
Make Travel Matter
- Ardgowan Estate: Join Sir Ludovic for a tour of his family home, Ardgowan Estate, and savour a traditional Scottish tea made from local ingredients. Your visit helps support the estate, helping keep Scottish history alive.
Top Rated Highlights
- Scenic Drives: Fall in love with the English and Scottish countryside as you travel through the English Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and the picturesque Cotswolds.
- London: Take your comfortable, standard-class seats and relax as your cross-country journey takes you through the green English countryside to Scotland – land of legends and romance.
- Edinburgh: Explore the city with your Local Expert as you travel along Princes Street to see the Scott Memorial, the neoclassical Adam facades of New Town and the official Scottish residence of the Queen, Palace of Holyroodhouse.
- Gretna Green: Visit the spot where once runaway lovers were married.
- Grasmere: Learn about the life of the poet William Wordsworth and visit his grave.
- English Lake District: Board a steam train and journey along the banks of the beautiful River Leven.
- Haworth: A visit to the Brontë Parsonage Museum provides a fascinating insight into the life of the Brontë family and the inspiration behind their marvellous works of literature.
- York: Walk with your Local Expert to see the might York Minster and wander the maze of cobbled streets to see the Shambles.
- Lincoln: Visit Lincoln Castle and admire one of the four remaining copies of the Magna Carta, which is over 800 years old.
- Stratford-upon-Avon: Learn about the life of William Shakespeare, arguably history’s most famous writer, when you visit his birthplace. Then enjoy some time to explore this pretty town with its iconic Tudor houses.
- Blenheim Palace: Witness a masterpiece of the English Baroque, brimming with priceless art and tapestries.
- Bath: During an orientation you will see the Royal Crescent, Pulteney Bridge and Bath Abbey.
- Stonehenge: Walk around the strange and awe-inspiring monoliths that have reputedly stood for 5,000 years.
- Salisbury: During your free time for lunch, take a moment to explore this historical city. See the tallest spire in England, atop the Medieval cathedral and walk the streets to observe an architectural timeline from the city’s medieval walls and half-timbered Tudor town houses to Georgian mansions and Victorian villas.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- If your arrival flights are as per the itinerary start date, then arrival transfers are available at scheduled times
- If your flights are outside these times or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
- You may purchase transfers to London Heathrow and Gatwick airports on departure day, or when additional night accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations
- Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport
London - Edinburgh
Edinburgh, The Capital of Culture
Ardgowan and Gretna Green
English Poets and the Lake District Experience
Windermere to York
The Viking city of York
Lincoln’s Magna Carta
The Cotswolds, Blenheim Palace and Bath
Ancient Stonehenge to London.